The Jekyll Island Club was described in the February 1904 issue of Munsey’s magazine as “the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible club in the world.” Members like the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts passed their summer days in a state of lavish splendor on their Southern playground.
The architecture is a splendid asymmetrical design, where the turret dominates the roof line and includes extensive verandas, bay windows and extended chimneys. The Victorian treasure was renovated to its original splendor through historical documents and hidden finds, such as old china patterns that revealed original color schemes.Handsome interior details include Ionic columns in the dining room, twelve and fifteen foot ceilings, oak wainscoting and other intricately detailed woodwork, as well as leaded glass and 93 detailed fireplaces.
Guests today can enjoy dinner in the Grand Dining Room with its classical details or visit any of Jekyll Island Club’s many other historical and architectural interests. Among them is Sans Souci, meaning “without care,” which was built in 1896 and owned in part by J.P. Morgan. This six-unit building is considered to be one of the first condominiums built in this country. The floors, leaded art glass, stairway and skylight are all original.